Embassy News & Events The Consulate The Embassy Bilateral Cooperation
Based on an exchange of diplomatic notes between Poland and the USA, since April 15th, 1991 the US citizens are allowed to enter Poland for any 90 days period without visa. The common rule 90 days of stay in 180-day period does not apply in this case. Please note that the common rule is applicable for other Schengen States, and if its a consecutive trip to Poland you must cross the Polish border directly from the third country (non-Schengen State) e.g. direct flights from Chicago, New York, London, Moscow, Kiev etc. Longer stays require Polish National Visa, provide by the Polish Consulates in the USA, or a temporary residence permit, a petition shall be filed in Poland in an appropriate Voivodship Office (Urząd Wojewódzki).
The Consular Section of the Embassy of Poland in Washington DC is competent to process visa applications from those who are residents of Alabama, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Puerto Rico, American Virgin Islands, Commonwealth of The Bahamas, Guam, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
Please note that the Polish Consular Office is competent to process visa application only if Poland is your sole destination, or if your trip plan includes more destinations and you stay in Poland most of the time, or if no main destination can be determined Poland is the first port of entry to the Schengen zone. Application can be submited no more than three months before departure for Poland.
Front desk opening hours, except Polish and the U.S. National Holidays:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Wednesday: 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Visa Inquiries e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
HOW TO START WITH VISA APPLICATION
- FIRST read visa requirements below and gather all necessary documents, the application will not be processed if the applicant fails to comply with requirements.
- SECOND choose a proper visa type (short term Schengen, long term National) schedule an appointment through the website https://secure.e-konsulat.gov.pl/ and complete an application online, then print it out and sign, two signatures are required box #37 and at the very end below statements.
- THIRD submit in person a hard copy of your application along with other required documents (see details below) to the Consular Division of the Polish Embassy in Washington DC on the day of your appointment.
REMEMBER the visa application (hard copy) MUST be submited in person to the Consular Office. The visa processing time is up to 15 days but in some cases it may be extended. It is applicant's responsibility to take all necessary measures to submit visa documents on time.
Since May 1st, 2014 every visa applicant must apply for visa in person, according to the new Polish Act on Foreigners.
Since May 15th, 2014 the Polish Consulates in the U.S. must collect digital scans of 10 fingers in order to process Schengen visa applications.
GENERAL VISA REQUIREMENTS (for more specific requirements please scroll down)
1. VISA APPLICATION FORM, choose Schengen Visa for short stay in Poland for up to 90 days (business, tourist, visit) or National Visa for long stay in Poland from 91 days for up to 365 days (study, work):
Each applicant shall submit ELECTRONICALLY REGISTERED, COMPLETED, DATED and SIGNED application go to Visa Registration.
IF THERE ARE TECHNICAL ISSUES WITH THE SYSTEM, please contact email@example.com
Note that COPY and PASTE function durring completing online visa form is NOT ALLOWED! Incorrect entries are marked in RED.
Persons included in the applicant's travel document shall submit a separate application form. Minors shall submit an application form signed by a person exercising permanent or temporary parental authority or legal guardianship along with confirming documents e.g. birth certificate, parents ID's, court's judgement and please also note that parent's letter of consent for travelling abroad is required.
2. PASSPORT/Travel Document satisfying the following criteria:
-its validity shall extend at least three months after the intended date of departure from the territory of Poland or other Schengen Member States;
-it shall contain at least two blank pages;
-it shall have been issued within the previous 10 years.
3. PROOF OF LEGAL RESIDENCE in the USA and valid re-entry document:
-original document of the US Permanent Residence Card (Green Card) or notarized copy,
-or valid US resident visa type A, E, F (with endorsed I-20), G, H, I, J plus J1 documents, L, O, R; Tourists and visitors with US visa type B1/B2 and J1 Summer Work Travel visas must apply in their country of residence.
The US residence permit or visa should be valid at least three months beyond the intended departure from the territory of Poland or other Member States (Schengen).
two passport size biometric photographs (photo requirements);
5. VISA FEE is $65 (see exceptions):
forms of payment accepted: cash, money order or cashier's check issued to "The Embassy of Poland". Personal checks are not accepted. Please also note, that visa fee is not refundable;
6. TRAVEL MEDICAL INSURANCE
The document/letter from the health insurance company stating coverage with a minimum of 30.000 EURO (ca. $50.000) for trips outside the U.S. valid for Poland and other Schengen Countries, copy of healthcare card is not sufficient.
If you do not have insurance or your insurance company cannot provide such specific letter, you must purchase insurance for the entire duration of your trip and present a proof of purchase with zero deductible;
We recommend to extend the validity of your travel medical insurance policy for additional 14 days in case of any unexpected travel delays, and in that case the visa could also be extended and will give you more flexibility during your trip.
7. PROOF OF SUFFICIENT FINANCIAL MEANS e.g.
-last three bank account statements with name and address of owner(s),
-or proof of regular income e.g. pay slips of last 3 months,
-or student loan agreement;
A minimum of $35 per day is required to cover travel expences while in Poland.
8. DRIVER LICENSE
or UTILITY BILLS with applicant`s name as a proof of residence in our consular region.
9. SHIPPING BACK YOUR PASSPORT - if you cannot pick up your document at the Consulate, please provide prepaid and addressed envelope for FedEx or UPS courier service.
THE LISTS OF SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS according to the purpose of a trip to Poland click on text
IMPORTANT: Your visa does not automatically entitle you to enter the Schengen country. During border controls you may have to provide information on your means of support, length of stay, and purpose of your visit. In some cases, such checks may result in a refusal for the visa holder to enter Poland and the Schengen area. It is therefore recommended that you carry with you copies of the documents which you presented when you applied for the visa (e.g. letters of invitation, travel confirmations, other documents stating the purpose of your stay). This will help to make the border control procedure easier and avoid delays at the border.
Please apply for visa with the appropriate Polish Consulate in accordance with consular territorial jurisdiction.
- Regulation No 810/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council of July 13th, 2009 establishing a Community Code on Visas (Visa Code)
- Commission Implementing Decision of 26.3.2013 establishing the list of supporting documents to be presented by visa applicants in the United States of America
- Ustawa z dnia 12 grudnia 2013 r o cudzoziemcach/ACT of December 12th, 2013 on foreigners, Journal of Laws of the Republic of PolandSEE MORE